I found an article written in 1857 by which gives a rather enthusiastic approach to adhering to a meatless diet. The claims made in this piece really sells the idea of a vegetarian diet as something that is great for a person's health. It hits on longevity, physical and mental strength and endurance, and the freedom of being burdened by life-ending diseases.
The next piece was about a study done in Brussels in 1907, which actually studied the effect of vegetarian
diets on muscular endurance. The findings of the study were positively in favor of vegetarians over those
test subjects who ate meat in their diets. There was little difference found in strength, but it was no contest
where endurance was concerned the vegetarian subjects where observed to have three times the muscular
endurance of their counterparts.
a Mixed Diet."
October 1857. jstor.org. 21 06 2014
.web.<http://www.jstor.org/stable/41134790>.
Fisher, Irving. "Diet and Endurance at Brussels." Science. New Series. Vol 26. No. 669 (Oct.25, 1907): 561-563.
That's surprising! I mean, even vegetarians need pills nowadays to put protein into their diets, right? At least, that's what I've heard. I never would have guessed a vegetarian diet would increase one's endurance. So have you been able to isolate why we eat meat at all? There must be something that meat provides for us, otherwise, we'd be herbivores, and we are not naturally herbivores.
ReplyDelete